CAR ISN'T STARTING LIKE IT USED TO....

1999 Ford Taurus

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

My car recently has been starting and sounds like its choking for about a minute and then it smooths out. The check engine light has been on and the code it came up with was there was a gross leak in the evap system. Could the evap leak be the cause to my taurus not starting right or should I be looking for something else like the fuel filter? Thanks
99tride

Check the coolant tempearture sensor/idle air control valve/motor

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

What does that mean?This indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

SymptomsYou likely won't notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.E. Not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system
Possible SolutionsWith a p0455, the most common repair is to: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary