SENSOR

1997 Ford Taurus

1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 166000 miles

can you send me a diagram of where the speed sensor is located thank you
Zanzan

The vehicle speed sensor is located rear center of engine compartment mounted on the transaxle see no.5 for location

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_vss_11.jpg

Don't have a good clear diagram but it is located on the transaxle on the right axle housing just as axle fits into housing.

Docfixit
1997 Taurus, 200K mi. I had the classic problem indicating a speed sensor failure. Speedo didn't work and transmission shifted hard or stuck in low gear when heated up. There are two sensors on the transmission, the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) located on the output shaft of the transaxle on the passenger side, and the Turbine Shaft Sensor(TSS) located under the exhaust manifold on the input shaft, accessible from the driver's side. I thought the VSS was bad but couldn't find it and ended up changing the TSS. This fixed my problem so my question is, which one of these sensors drives the speedometer? Both, VSS, or TSS? Most posts on this issue say to change the VSS when this problem occurs and make a vague reference to the TSS.

Bgbevan