ROUGH IDLE AT START UP AND RAW GAS SMELL I

1997 Ford Taurus

1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141560 miles

My 97 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 occasionally at startup (either cold or warm) will rough idle and sometimes stall, and when it does that ill have to give some gas for it to idle normally, and from time to time when this does happen ill start to smell gas inside the cabin but cannot smell it outside of it, ive checked for leaks, the spark pug wires and yet nothing im planning on pulling the spark plugs later today after I replace the water pump. This is baffling me to no end, also the car when running runs perfectly no signs of pistons not firing, and the oil looks and smells normal. Ive done all the repair work myself with the help of family and friends. Ive recently replaced the VSS sensor, belt assemble bearings, new tensioner, struts, wheel bearings, recent tuneup, lights, and interior repair which in my opinion would have nothing to do with this problem. The car has always had this problem since I got it but with the colder weather, and running it more often for my new job has made it worse but not quite at the point where I cannot run it without seeing the problem. Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance, Ryan
Ryan.smith

Try cleaning out the idle air control and EGR and PCV valves-also the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC and test the throttle position sensor-

Thanks for your input, im about to check and clean them, also checking the spark plugs and o rings. Ill repost with the results

Ryan.smith
Well im almost positive I found the problem, its the maf sensor, when I took it off there was a small pool of oil/gas mix in the outlet tube. But what is weird is that last night I looked and smelled the oil and nothing was wrong, and the only other time I ran the car was letting it idle for a max of 5-10 min to check to see if I could see any black smoke coming from the exhaust (which was a no) and I also pulled the spark plugs that they were all back, so tommrow morning im getting the new sensor, spark plugs, new oil and oil filter along with fuel filter(around that time to change it anyway) and im hoping this will resolve my problems, and would you think I would need a new charcoal canister due to the heavy saturation of gas?

Ryan.smith
Also would the whole problem with the maf sensor, would that possibly damage the catalytic converter. Im not exactly for sure just trying to cover everything because I do work on saturday and cant afford to miss another day with mechanical problems

Ryan.smith