CHANGING VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

1996 Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

Hi,
I am trying to change my VSS on my 1996 Ford Taurus.

I was able to remove the hold down bolt and remove the metal clip.

When I tried pulling up on the Plastic Sensor, it came out but the rest of the unit is still down inside.

The new Duralast Part comes with the entire unit, half Plastic and half Aluminum with o-ring etc.

Can I just replace the Plastic Sensor and shaft?

I am having trouble getting the Sensor seperated from the Aluminum end.

I would prefer to get the whole unit out of the Transmission and do a complete repair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tuffdec1

Hello –

Well, I only show it as one part…. So to me…. It may have broke off which is why it may not be working.

Can you use needle nose pliers and gentle wiggle the part and pull it out? I suppose the part that is locked is the bottom gear part?

You might try jacking the front up, block the rear, put the transmission in neutral to take the pressure off…….

Let me know if this helps……

Also, please if you need more help let me know if your engine is a 3.0L, or 3.0L FF or 3.0L VIN S.

I can also check on any recalls if you provide the above.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
3.0 L 182ci U Engine
Re-phrasing the question.

Removal and installation of VSS/VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR.

Tuffdec1
Hello –

Yes…..the VSS…..I show two different transmissions for your vehicle….the AX4S is located on the transaxle…..so by my pic it appears that since it is inside the speedometer cover, that there is a gear going the opposite way to the transaxle…that is why I suggested placing the car in neutral to take the torque off the transmission/gears to move freely. I apologize if that isn’t the set up of your vehicle.

Let’s look again……I show a AX4S and AX4N transmission for your car.

Looking the AX4S I have attached the directions for removal on that….I do notice that the removal discusses certain steps……..specifically “Do not attempt to remove spring….” Now if I understand you on the attached pic….I have a red arrow pointing to the speedometer cover…..and a red circle around the gear…..so we are talking about the same thing….it the gear (red circle) still stuck in the cover (red arrow)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_32.jpg

If so again, I would use needle nose pliers…..you may have to remove the cover…..a magnet….
Can you wiggle it with your finger or is it really tight?

Since that clip appears to go through the cover, can you insert a small screwdriver or pointed tool in the slot and gently (so you don’t damage the clip slot) pry it forward?
6. Disconnect electrical connector and speedometer cable from VSS. NOTE: Do not attempt to remove spring retaining clip from driven gear with speedometer cable in VSS.
7. Remove driven gear retainer and driven gear from VSS. Installation
Now if this isn’t your model, then please get back with me and I will look at the other model and see what that is……..

Also let me know if this doesn’t help and we will be glad to try and suggest something else.

Thanks for the donation

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_109.jpg

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

AX4S Trans axle

Removal

Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Section 00-02.
Remove Y-pipe and heated oxygen sensors (HO2S)(9F472) from the exhaust system.
Remove VSS exhaust heat shield.
4 Remove bolt retaining VSS mounting clip to transaxle.
5 Remove VSS and driven gear from transaxle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_57.gif

Disconnect electrical connector and speedometer cable from VSS. NOTE: Do not attempt to remove spring retaining clip from driven gear with speedometer cable in VSS.
Remove driven gear retainer and driven gear from VSS. Installation
Position driven gear to VSS. Install gear retainer.
Connect electrical connector to VSS.
Ensure internal 0-ring is seated properly in VSS housing. Snap speedometer cable into VSS housing.
Install VSS into transaxle and secure with retaining bolt.
Install VSS exhaust heat shield.
Install Y-pipe and heated oxygen sensors to exhaust system.
Lower vehicle and verify proper speedometer I odometer operation.

ImpalaSS
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I got the part out from inside the Speedomoeter hole.

Initially the Sensor(Plastic) came out, without the Aluminum body and I was faced with finding a way to remove it.

Turns out it was frozen from being in there for almost 13 yrs.

I put some PB BLASTER(Penetrating spray) on it and eventually turned it free with some extensions and a Easy -Out.

Once it was free, it came up and out!

I did this from the top without having to do all that underneath work.

Also Autozone gave me the wrong part, I had to go back and show them the original and lucky for me they had the correct part.

The Autozone computer system has my 1996 listed with 2 of the wrong Speed Sensors.
The correct one that matched was for a Transmission from 97-98?

Anyway after all said and done, I came home from my friends (home garage) and found your 2nd response to my issue.

I will recommend others to this site as all your help was greatly appreciated.

Let all others know who have the same issue that this can be done from the top of the vehicle.

It was not easy and slow and steady was key to accomplishing the job.

Thanks for helping Dennis

Tuffdec1
Dennis

Fantastic!……. And thank you very much for sharing how you removed it….

Great thinking on the easy out……. And you did it from on top……….

Others that read this will certainly appreciate your advice………

Thanks again Dennis for the suggestions/advice……….

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Forgot to tell you..

Looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

Thanks for the donation

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Taurus1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Taurus2_1.jpg

ImpalaSS