BATTERY WOULDN'T HOLD CHARGE

1993 Ford Taurus

1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic 170000 miles

Posted at Sat Sep 06, 2008 9: 50 am
By satya tatini, Have Donated
Give Feedback | Votes: 0

1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl 170000 miles

Alternator is good, battery is comparivley new and a best kind. When the car is not starting, if I charge the battery and rimovethe charging equipment and start the car it starts ok. Now if I drive for a while and stop the engine, and try to start it, it will not start. It's possible I or some body I am working on my car incidentally shorted the battery that is +ve and -ve terminals joined long enough. Is it possible thata battery fuse exists on the car and it is blown
Answer
You need to get both of them retested alternator might not be putting out and battery not taking the charge also cables/terminals clean and properly tightened
Donated $5-
Please answer the two specific questions: 1 Is there a battery fuse on the car, whcih probably is blown and not letting the battery charged? 2 If the +ve and -ve treminals are joined long enough by mistake, the battery may be shorted for good
Satya tatini

Please answer the two specific questions: 1 Is there a battery fuse on the car , whcih probably is blown and not letting the battery charged? 2 If the +ve and -ve treminals are joined long enough by mistake, the battery may be shorted for good

1. Test all these fusible links below and look for power at the light green and red wire on the alternator connector coming from the ignition switch thru the charge indicator to the alternator

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fusible_links_2.jpg

2. Test the open voltage on the battery meaning w/o a load should read 12.4 volts or better less than this battery could be weak or shorted out when it was incorrectly hooked up. Load test the battery for 10secs if doesn't hold up 9.6volts its defective