CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON, THEN CAR DIES

1992 Ford Taurus

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

car loses power, then check engine light comes on, then dies after 5 minutes. I have to release a lot of air out of the gas tank, and the inside of the car smells like gas, when this happens. After the release of air out of the gas tank if I let it sit for approx. 50 minutes it will start again and drive until it happens again. This occurs in one or combination of the following situations: 1) when driving in the desert heat or 2) long distance or 3) up a mountain. There also is a burning smell of radiation fluid, when I open the hood and I have to refill every 4 weeks a little. The gage that tells how hot the motor is, is always at the A of the word NORMAL, more on the hot side than in the middle or cool, even now in winter. Broke down first on 12.000 feet mountain last summer. Ever since no one could fix it. Things that I have had fixed: Fuel pump, fuel filter, gasket(?) On top of gas tank, inside gas tank is clean, several old hoses replaced, coolant flush, new thermometer. Several mechanics have looked at it, but when they put it on the computer, everything is fine, also no overheating and check engine light, of course they do not drive it for 40 miles or more or uphill for long enough. When the check engine light comes on I am never close to an auto repair. Someone mentioned a water pump. Another oxygen filter, another rotting radiator, another catalytic converter.I would appreciate your help.
Poisonyvi

Hi: Having the radiator rodded out may help solve the problem of overheating, but I'm stummped on the check engine light. If the light comes on, there should be a code set in the computer. Have you tried having the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store? Many do it for free. I would try that.

Let me know what you find.

Hi Joe,
since the check engine light does not stay on all the time, can they scan the code also when it is off? Someone told me it only can be scanned when the light is on.

Poisonyvi
If the light was on, it should have saved a code. I would try it anyway. Many parts stores will do it for free. That is one reason I suggested it. At least there is no money out of pocket.

Ok, I will do.

Poisonyvi