IGNITION ACTUATOR REPAIR

Ford Ranger

I have a 96' Ranger and the actuator rod going from the ignition to the switch appears to be broken. Have removed the steering wheel and air bag only to see a housing and several springs with retainers, which kind of scare me from going further. I've been able to remove the switch from further down in the column. While I can push the switch by hand and turn the key to get it started, I'd really like to fix it properly so I can turn it on & off with the key. A guy at Ford said it would take him about 2 hours to fix, and he's done several hundred of these repairs.

While I'm an " amature" mechanic, I'm not too bad, often times surpassing common ones, but far from a Ford certified one. Can usually get the job done, but it takes me a little longer. Sometimes a LOT longer. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in tear down, repair, and reassembly as far as the actuator switch rod is concerned. Thanks.
Xxxtina63

Bump! Sorry if I sounded arrogant, because I'm not. While I'm not afraid of most things, this steering column and auto transmissions scare me. The Ford tech said I would have to drill out a few pins and replace them with screws. Does that sound right? He also said that all of the springs would have to be removed to gain access to the ignition cover. If it were mine, I wouldn't care so much, but it's my sister's, and I really need to know how to tear this thing down and get it fixed asap. ANY advice is welcome.

Xxxtina63