BROKEN TIMING BELT 2.5 XLT FLAIR SIDE

1998 Ford Ranger

I have been trying to repair this timing belt for 5 days now. I have experience in Ford engine building as I used to own and maintain a street racing Mustang GT, 1985. Anyway. I've got all my marks lined up and have verified this through the inspection holes while crank pully is at TDC, however. No matter what I do or have dont the truck will still not start (1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 4 cyl. OHC. What is happening is that the exhaust pipe is sucking in air while the intake manifold is releasing the air (fuel and air mix) in an almost " smoke" like form. Fuel pressure is fine and I am getting spark. Don't know what else to do at this point though. Could it be a broken camshaft or bent valves? Or what? I have no idea. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your response(s).
Phiberoptik

I am havening the same problem did youend up solving it? Please help

Tonys420
It sounds like its 180 degrees off be sure the no 1 cylinder is at tdc.

98rangerxlt

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_ranger_98_1.jpg

recheck timing marks
do a compression test and a cylinder leak test

BMRFIXIT
What it was it the cam shaft has # marks on it a notch, Diamond, and an arrow head the stupid FORD book say like up the marks and you can barely see the arrow and they ASSume You know to use the arrow. A-Holes did this on purpose I had to use a $80 timing book to figure this out. Thankx all HOPE this helps someone down the line.
It sux taking the belt off 20 times : -(

Anth

Tonys420