94 183000M CLUTCH

Ford Ranger

I know my truck is getting up there in years, but I had the clutch replaced 2 years ago. I'm driving along the highway and start to smell burn. A light is up ahead, I stop, take it out of gear. I go to put it back in gear and it won't. It is grinding what feels like the shifter. I had to opt for turning off the car and putting it into gear and drove very slowly until I got home.--Only about a mile from where I smelled burn.
These trucks have clutch start. So if it goes in gear while the engine is off, why won't it change gears when car is on and clutch is depressed? And what is making the grind that feels like it is in the shifter?
I have driven manual trannys since I got a license. This is the first vehicle that I owned that needed a clutch. Is this the same problem--or a new one?
Pdavid62000

Is it hydraulic clutch

I know that it is self adjusting, if that helps any. I had the clutch assembly replaced about 2 yrs. Ago. I don't want to be swindled if the parts that need replacing are the shifter cables or heaven forbid the whole syncro assembly. My friend had that done and it was expensive. The cars I used to drive were 80s models, mostly Fords. This was the newest vehicle I own, so I'm not familiar with 90's auto tech. The most I have replaced myself were tires, brakes, exhaust, leaf spring brackets, and upper engine parts. Basic stuff that runs all on the same repair principles. I didn't want to do any work myself and mess it up, so I took it to a shop for the clutch. I have a reservoir for fluid topside. Any of this help?
I really can't complain too much--this truck didn't start to fall apart until 2 years ago. But now that it has started I have put over $4000 into it in two years.

Pdavid62000
What you need to do is, have the clutch master cylinder and slave/servo bleed out and then adjust the free play and see what happens. No cure then its time for a new clutch assy.