ROUGH IDLE AND RUNNING, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2002 Ford Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 13,600 miles

This problem started ubruptly. I started the truck and it ran very rough, like cylinders were missing. It was worse with acceleration, and it was running so rough the truck was shaking. Then the check engine light came on. Repair shop said the spark plug wires shorted out, the #3 cyclinder was missfiring, and they also detected a fuel pressure regulator leak. They replaced the wires, new spark plugs and the fuel pressure regulator ($$$). Drove the truck home and it seemed fine. The next time I started the truck it was back to square one, with the misfiring, rough running and the check engine light coming on. Needless to say, I'm taking it back in, but it seems they don't have a clue. Any ideas?
MA H

Inspect Ignition Timing Incorrectly adjusted engine timing.
Inspect Timing Chain Slipped or worn timing chain.

Inspect Timing Belt Slipped or broken timing belt.

Inspect Crankshaft Position Sensor Damaged or faulty crankshaft position sensor or circuit

Inspect Camshaft Position Sensor A Damaged or faulty camshaft position sensor will transmit incorrect ignition and fuel delivery information

Inspect Hose (Vacuum) Misrouted, damaged, loose, or clogged vacuum hose(s)

Jnovack
Also havr them check the ignition coil I suspect its bad.

98rangerxlt
First, sorry you had to put that much into it only to have the problem still exist. When a repair person starts giving me a laundry list of things that HAVE to be fixed I immediately get suspicious.

Here is what I found on my truck. Under the upper radiator hose is a rubber elbow. The elbow is leaking it will have a slight crease in it which is actually a hole. To help find it you can start the car then listen. You should hear a slight hiss. Grab the radiator hose and pull it up out of the way a bit so you can see under it. The crease should be more obvious with the car running. Stick your finger over the crease and you will hear the hiss change pitch and the motor smooth out.

Now all I have to do is figure out what that part is called so I can buy one. I am thinking it is a vacuum something something.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Biff

BiffSorenson