CLUTCH AND TRANNY PROBLEMS

2002 Ford Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 127000 miles

ok at first I thought it was the clutch going out but now I wonder if it's the tranny. In neutral everything is fine when I push in the clutch you can faintly hear a rattle sound when I put it in reverse no change when I start to release the clutch petal and start backing up I can hear a loud rattle. Go into first it goes in fine drive off just fine in all forward gears its fine when petal is released now slowing down 4 too 3 everything goes ok 3 too 2 same but now 2 too 1 just as it goes into 1st with petal pressed in still it makes a quick growl like baarr- rrwwwhh (ha ha) but now tonight everything is the same except when I went to take off from a stop going forward as I was releasing the clutch petal I could feel it as if it was grabbing then slip then grab then slip just a bit where the truck was barely jumping over and over until the petal was fully released then it went on as normal. But a few weeks ago I couldn't even get it into any gear with it running in neutral then it got a little better where it would go in most of the time like it was yesterday. Is it the clutch or is it the tranny? So very confused.
02rangerowner

Uuummm we can't hear noises on the computer lol. But it sounds as if your release bearing is going bad or your relase arm is bad or both. Probably a new clutch will fix things as the bearing gets replaced with a new clutch.

And the clutch and stuff look good but only thing wrong is the pilot baring/bushing is de-sin-a-great-ed but I am going to replace it all since I'm in there. Hopefully it fix's it. Only problem I'm having now is trying to get the outer case of the old pilot baring/bushing out. Just can't seem to get it to come out.

02rangerowner
They have pullers for th pilot bearing, when they are good, you can use grease to shove them out. But if you can't then try cutting the case with a sharp chisel. Make sure to get the alignment tool soyou won't have trouble the next time.