HOW DO I REPLACE THERMOSTAT

2001 Ford Ranger

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 65000 miles

I need to replace the thermostat on my 2001 Ford Ranger. How do I do that?
Rangerboy

Ok I can help you with that but I need to know which 4cyl. Is yours a 2.3 ltr or the 2.5 ltr engine. Get back to me with that and I will return with how to change it. Thanks

Racefan966
It is a 2.3 ltr. Thanks.

Rangerboy
OK first follow the upper radiator hose back to the engine this will lead you to the thermostat housing. Now get a bucket and drain some anti freeze from the radiator enough to lower the coolant so not so much will spill out of the housing. Now remove the upper radiator hose from the theremostat housing and then remove the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing to the intake manifold and remove the housing then replace thermostat the put back together in reverse order and fill back up with anti freeze. Start and run to normal temp and let cool a bit and check antifreeze to make sure it is full. Thats it. here is a pic of the housing hope this helps. THanks.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_DSC02887_1.jpg

Racefan966