FUEL USE

2001 Ford Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99,000 miles

this truck has a 15 gal tank, I can fill up and drive about 35 miles and it will use a quarter of a tank, this is hwy miles only, no city, it does have 373 gears in the rear end, is this normal to use this much gas, and what can I do to improve my mileage, I have already done a complete tuneup on the engine, do I need to chage the rearend gears, and to what raito , thanks paul
Rudylyn

The 3.0 and 4.0 Rangers are rough on gas but not that bad. Run super grade shell fuel and K& N air filter and you will see a difference also get a better flowing muffler and catalytic converter($150-$200) for exhaust and you will see a major improvement. Is the check engine light on?

Ianhiestand
Some fuel gauges malfunction, after several thousand miles, it also could be the sending unit in the gas tank. Some will stay on full for a long time then drop down quickly.4 gallons in 35 miles is about 9 miles to the gallon. You should be at twenty or better. Push button to reset mileage counter, after filling gas tank. Then the next time you fill the tank, write down how many miles you went and how much gas to fill it up. Devide gallons into milage that will give you how many miles per gallon.

Get123got