VERY HARD TO SHIFT GEARS

2000 Ford Ranger

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 119000 miles

For the last couple of weeks it has been getting more and more diffucult to get my truck into gear. Prticularly from neutral into first and neutral into reverse. I have to use both hands and put ALL my weight into it practically breaking a sweat. Some think it's a problem with the slave cylinder, but my clutch doesn't feel mushy, it feels great. There is plenty of give and take between the clutch and gas as I move from gear to gear. A mechanic said that if I try shifting from neutral to reverse while the engine is on and then turn it off while I am trying to shift and it goes in smoothly it is the clutch, but that didn't happen, it was still a bear to get it into reverse. It was also thought that there was a leak in the resivoir that is located driver side, ( I don't know what it is but it has a black cap and takes break fluid), but that resivoir was full, it only took about a table spoon of fluid and shifting didn't get any better. (And of corse I dropped the cap into the engine somewhere, awesome: ()Though I don't know really anything about engines, my gut tells me that it's just that something isn't lined up right and/or needs lubrication. Or maybe I just need a transmission flush rather than a new slave and a new clutch. I have also been told that a transmission flush is never necessary. Argh! I have no idea. Can anyone help? I don't want to be taken advantage of at a repair shop with unnecessary things to be fixed.
Lgeffinger

Once it is moving does it shift like it should or is it still difficult? From what you describe it sounds like the clutch is worn out. Hydraulic systems more or less automatically adjust, so its not like the old ones where you may need a clutch adjustment.

Jack42
Thank you soooo much for your reply! When I am driving it is still difficult, sometimes more than others. Funny thing is that since I added that tablespoon of brake fluid, it's been a day now, it goes into gear better, I don't have to use both hands. Hum? I am perplexed. Does something just need to be alligned? Or lubed? How do they check and diagnose all this stuff? By computers? By driving my truck? I mean, will they even get it right the first time? I mean, I have NEVER had any problems with my fabulous little ranger: ) thank you

Lgeffinger
The hydraulic clutch are like the brakes, if the fluid gets low, the pressure decreases. It is natural for the fluid level in the clutch resevoir to drop as the clucth wears and the system adjusts itself. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the clutch resevoir to see if it drops again, if so you may have a leak in the system, but it still sounds like you may becoming up on a clutch replacement. If you do have it done, be sure to have them replace the clucth slave cylinder at the same time. It is located inside the trans bellhousing and should be replaced when the clutch is done

Jack42
Thank you very much for your expertise. I will use this site again in the future. I swear you mechanics are like doctors. Don't know how you do it. : )

Lgeffinger
My pleasure. Thanks for using 2Carpros. Com

Jack42
Hi Igeffinger, I also have a 2000 ranger just like yours and it is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get yours fixed and can you tell me what might be the problem? I have asked everywhere and nobody seems to have run across this problem. Thank you for your time.

Clearlakes
Clearlakes: Do you have the problem shifting with the engine running as well as off? If so, you have an internal problem, most likely with the synchros that cause the gears to line up properly when shifting.

Rivermikerat