XLT 4X4, REAR END DIFFERENTIAL ISSUES.

1999 Ford Ranger

I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT V6 (4.0), Automatic, 4x4 that is having some serious issues with the rear end.

It started a few days ago to my best guess, I noticed a weird noise akin to something rubbing together (like a wheel well guard against soemthing). I checked it before going on a road trip and it turns out the sound was coming from my rear end. It's making a sound as if something has broken loose inside the bell housing and clunks around at lower speeds.
I do not notice the noise once I am going over 20 MPH though. Although that could be because my glass pack muffler (not over kill loud) covers it up.

I checked the fluid level in the rear end and it seemed to be fine, but I did notice metal shavings on the back side of the drain plug caked in with grease.

Any suggestions?
Fordtruckbum

140,000 Miles and it is limited slip. I know it is limited slip because I've had it stuck in the mud and found out w/o the need for serial numbers. Lol

I guess what I am after is it even worth the trouble of dropping the bell housing and " peeking" at the problem? I'm about sick over the propisition of having to replace this rear end, I'm sure I'll have to take a second mortgage out to be able to afford it. Heh

Fordtruckbum