LOWER AND UPPER BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT

1999 Ford Ranger

Suspension problem
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

I have replaced the lower ball joint on the passenger side but now I cannot get the upper ball joint back into the knuckle. I am concerned that I did not press the lower ball joint in far enough. I have the new snap ring on the new joint. There is still a gap between the ball joint lip and the lower control arm.

Also, the boot on the upper joint is torn. Does this mean that it needs to be replaced?
Rbj92

Hello rbj92

The ball joints on 99 Ranger are integral with the control arm. If the ball joint is defective, the entire control arm must be replaced

lower control arm.

1. Position the steering wheel to the on-center position. Loosen the wheel lug nuts.

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Remove the wheel lug nuts and wheel.

4. Disconnect the stabilizer bar link bolt from the lower control arm.

5. Remove the front shock absorber.

6. Remove the torsion bar.

7. Remove the lower ball joint retaining nut cotter pin and loosen the nut but do not remove it.

8. Disconnect the lower ball joint stud from the steering knuckle using a jawed puller, such as Pitman Arm Puller T64P-3590-F, or equivalent.

WARNING
Fasten a support, either out of a block of wood or wire wrapped around the frame, and support the weight of the steering knuckle/brake assembly. Do not allow the steering knuckle/brake assembly to hang from the upper ball joint as this may damage the joint.

9. Position a jack under the lower control arm then remove the lower ball joint retaining nut.

10. Raise the lower control arm until the lower ball joint stud is free from the steering knuckle.

11. Remove the two nuts and bolts retaining the lower arm pivot points to the frame crossmember.

12. Remove the lower control arm from the frame pockets. Some careful prying may ease the removal of the arm.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0996b43f8021b9ca_1.jpg

upper control arm

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0996b43f8021b9c9_1.jpg

After performing this procedure, it will be necessary to have the wheel alignment checked and adjusted by a professional shop

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Position the jack stands under the lower control arms.

3. Remove the wheel lug nuts and wheel.

Before removing the steering knuckle-to-upper ball joint retaining (pinch) bolt, secure the steering knuckle from tilting.

4. Remove the steering knuckle-to-upper ball joint retaining (pinch) bolt and separate the two components.

5. Make alignment marks on the control arm pivot bolt cam assemblies.

6. To remove the left side control arm proceed as follows:
1. Remove the nuts and cam bolts from the control arm pivot points.

2. Pull the control arm from the vehicle frame.

7. To remove the right side control arm, proceed as follows:
1. If only the ball joint is to be removed, make alignment marks on the control arm and ball joint assembly then remove the two retaining nuts and the ball joint. Skip to the installation procedures.

2. Remove the nuts and cam bolts from the control arm pivot points.

3. Pull the control arm from the vehicle frame.

(sending the diagrams to your email)

Mathiaso
I have already replaced the lower ball joint in the original control arm without removing the torsion bar. I need to know how to get the upper ball joint back into the nuckle and if the upper joint needs to be replaced if the boot is cracked.

Rbj92
Hello rbj92

The purpose of the of the boot is to keep the grease4 around the joint and to keep dirt out of it.
If the boot is crack and open, the ball joint must be replaced otherwise premature wear will happens.

It seem like you did not secure the steering knuckle from tilting when removing the old ball joint from the upper control arm.
Do you have a way to send me the picture of the situation.

Mathiaso