DOESNT GO TO IDLE WHEN I PRESS IN THE CLUT

1999 Ford Ranger

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

Ive owned this truck for about 6 months, and its my first truck. With all manuel transmissions, I understand that when your driving, and your at a certain rpm, whenever you press in your clutch the rpm goes down to idle. This has always done this for me ever since I got the truck, and from what I beleve is what it is supposed to do. Today I noticed that when I press in the clutch while driving, it stays at the current rpm, and takes a couple seconds to go down to idle. What is wrong? Is it anything with my transmission, or should I be concerned?
Evanc613

Hi
The computer controls idle speed and return to idle at deceleration. During certain engine conditions engine RPM is kept up for a couple sec. To prevent unwanted polution out exhaust. So think your O.K.
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Heres an update, today I drove, and now whenever I put my clutch in, or put it in neutrel, it stays at 3000 rpm's until im completely stopped. Even if im at a lower rpm's, if I put my clutch in, it gradually runs up to 3000 rpm's. If you can, please get back to me asap, I appreaciate it so much! More donations to come, thanks for a great quick service!

Evanc613
Hi
The Idle Air Control valve controled by PCM maybe faulty or is receiving signal from PCM to do so. The IAC is located on the trrottle body, included two pics of the IAC's used, with wire terminal connection. Try this, assume no check engine light is on, disconnect plug does it idle? If yes drive does it go back to idle when clutch is depressed?
Let me know

Docfixit
Hello. I owned a 98 ford ranger 2.5 liter standard transmission. I had the exact same problem idling up to 3000 rpm's when I pressed the clutch in and went to idle when I stopped completely. I replaced the idle control sensor and it took the computer around a year to finally correct the idle. I had the codes cleared out of it after I replaced it. I owned the truck four years after that and had no other trouble. I hope this helps you.

C_landry22