FORD RANGER BRAKES PROBLEM

1999 Ford Ranger

Brakes problem
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

when I apply the brakes my back end of my truck hops. The tires dont lock up tho. So I pulled the drums off and the brakes shoes looked almost new. The drums looked old so I just replaced the drums and adjusted the brakes. It still does it. I dont notice it at low braking speeds but if I'm 40 and up it ll hop when braking. Could this be the proprtioning valve?
Redtoy2001

If the wheels are not locking up, no to the prop valve. Was there any glaze on the brake shoes? Is the problem exactly the same with the new drums? Are there any leaks such as axle seals, wheel cylenders?

One last thing. These vehicles are known for the shackle that attaches the leaf springs to the frame rust and break. Check them to make sure that isn't an issue. Normally, it is the rear shackle.

Let me know what you find.

I did notice that the passenger side axle seal was leaking. Do you think that could be it? I have new shoes and drums on the back do you think I 'll have to replace that side again when I do the seal? I checked the shackles and they look surprising new.

Redtoy2001
Yes, that could cause the problem. As far as the shackles, if you got the truck used, they were most likely already replaced.