WHINE COMING FROM POWER STEERING PUMP!

1998 Ford Ranger

Steering problem
1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 90,000 miles

I replaced the power steering pump. But it is still whining. What should I look into? Thanks Bill
Bill strickland

Hello –

To better assist you is your model the Ranger or Ranger Splash and what is your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN?

Did you bleed it after installation?

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Hello, The Ranger is a XLT ext cab and has a 4.0 Liter Engine 5 Speed. The 8th Vin # is X. Yes I bleeded the pump with a vacum 3 Times and still making noise. Please let me know what else I can do. Thanks, Bill

Bill strickland
Hello –

Thanks for the info Bill

Try bleeding this way……

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING
1. Fill pump reservoir. Start engine. Operate steering for 2 minutes, or until power steering fluid reaches operating temperature. Stop engine. Recheck fluid level. Add fluid as necessary. Repeat procedure until fluid level stabilizes.
2. Raise and support vehicle so front wheels are off ground. Start engine. Turn steering wheel from stop to stop several times. Avoid holding wheel against stops in full left or right position. Fluid level should remain visible.
3. Return wheels to center position. Operate engine for 2-3 minutes. Lower and road test vehicle. Recheck fluid level. Fluid containing air will have a milky appearance. If air is still present in system, repeat preceding steps. All air should be eliminated to obtain normal steering.
NOTE: If abnormal noise or foamy/milky appearance of fluid persists, air may be trapped in power steering system. Using Rotunda Vacuum Tester (021-00014) and the following procedure to eliminate this condition.
4. Carefully remove dipstick. Check and fill reservoir to COLD mark. Disconnect and ground ignition coil lead. Raise front wheels off ground.
5. Crank engine 30 seconds while turning steering wheel. DO NOT hold wheel on stops. Add fluid if necessary. Attach coil lead. Install vacuum tester onto reservoir.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
I did it the way you said and it is still doing it. The fuild is free of bubbles! There is no stifness in the steering. I put 2 new pumps on and bleed them 3 times. It's still has a whining. Could the rack have a problem? Thanks, Bill

Bill strickland
Hi Bill…. Not trying to drag this out…. But checking on different oils………sometimes power steering pumps whine a lot when the fluid gets warm as it thins too much. Many newer cars use ATF for the power steering………. Please give me a day to do some more research…. Many things are closed today……if I can’t locate what I am looking for I will have another moderator take a look and get their input….

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Okay Bill….

I am currently working on a ML 320 with the same problem….A whine in the PS even after bleeding.

I contacted the techs at Lucas Oil…. They recommended the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak.

I suggest giving this a try…………. Please let us know how it does…….I am trying it myself on this ML320.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recall_26.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello, Still can not stop the whinning. Tryed the lucas No go. Vac System no go. Put another pump on and still no good. Is there any thing I am over looking? Thanks for your help. Bill

Bill strickland
Hello – Bill

Well, I am sorry you still have the whine. I am going to request the assistance of another moderator to see if they know. Please stand by.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Bill, you are experiencing what thousands of other Ford owners have experienced. The original pump most likely started making noise and now after replacing it several times with an aftermarket pump, you still have a noise.

Let me start by saying, everything you have done and ImpellaSS has recommend it accurate and should have taken care of the problem. However, all I can tell you is this (and this comes from years of experience) for some reason, the aftermarket pumps make noise like you are low on fluid even though you are not. I can't tell you if the manufacturers have different tollerances that they follow that allow fluid to bypass the pump or what. The only fix that I have done successfully is with a new factory pump. That was the only way I ever got rid of the noise.

Now keep in mind, even though the pump is making noise, doesn't mean it is bad or will leave you stranded. THey work but are annoying!

Also, I read through the your postings. Everything you did is correct to bleed a pump. The fact that there is no foaming in the resivour tells me you did the job correct.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I am offering my past experience to you. In fact, I have a brother-in-law that I replaced the pump on his windstar for him. I told him to get a factory pump, but he insisted I get the cheap one at the local parts store and it does the same thing. Now it's a running joke in the family that I sell junk parts.

Let me know if you have other specific questions. Again, I wish I had a better answer for you, but with 30 years of experience working on cars, and dealing with this type of problem for the past 10+ years (on fords only) that is the best I can tell you.

Page 1 of 2