98 RNAGER TIMING BELT

1998 Ford Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

Recently the timing belt on my 98 ranger broke. Putting the new belt on I lined up the Cam pulley (Triangle to triangle), Oil pulley (diamond to diamond), and Crank to TDC. Tried several times but it not working. Any Ideas? In addition, its a 4 cyl but has 8 spark plugs, the #1 Access spark plug is the first on the driver side right?
Comarosco

TIMING BELT
Removal
Disconnect battery ground cable. Remove exhaust side spark plugs.
Remove fan shroud bolts and fan shroud, and position aside. Loosen, but do not remove, water pump pulley bolts. Remove accessory drive serpentine belt.
Remove fan and clutch assembly retaining screws. Remove fan and clutch assembly. Remove fan shroud. Remove water pump pulley.
On models with A/C, discharge A/C system using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. Remove A/C compressor from mounting bracket. Remove A/C compressor mounting bracket with power steering pump attached, and position aside.
Remove timing belt outer cover retaining bolt. Release 7 cover interlocking tabs. Remove timing belt cover.
Rotate crankshaft in normal direction of rotation so that No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of compression stroke. Align camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump timing marks. See Fig. 1 . Crankshaft keyway should be pointing straight up, and circle on crankshaft sprocket must align with notch in engine front cover.
Holding timing belt tensioner with Camshaft Belt Tension Adjuster (T74P-6254-A) or equivalent, loosen adjusting bolt and pivot bolt. Slowly release spring tension. Pry tensioner away from timing belt, and tighten bolt to hold tensioner in place. Remove timing belt.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_150_2.jpg

Installation
Ensure crankshaft is set at TDC and camshaft sprocket timing mark and oil pump sprocket timing mark are aligned with inner cover timing marks.
Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and then the camshaft sprocket. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolt.
Allow tensioner to adjust itself against timing belt. DO NOT tighten belt tensioner. Slowly rotate crankshaft clockwise 2 complete turns clockwise (as viewed from front of engine) so No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of compression stroke.
Recheck timing alignment marks. If timing marks are not aligned, reposition timing belt. Repeat timing belt tensioning procedure.
Tighten timing belt tensioner adjusting and pivot bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Install crankshaft pulley. Tighten center bolt to specification.
Install timing belt cover. Install exhaust side spark plugs. Install A/C compressor mounting bracket to engine. Install A/C compressor to mounting bracket. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Recharge A/C system, if necessary.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_1502_2.jpg

Dave H
I've tried this many times, but still have no result. Any other ideas of what the problem could be?

Comarosco
Are you getting fuel and spark?

Dave H
Yes I'm getting spark and fuel. My only idea is that I'm not getting TDC on Compression stroke. What I have done is: -Taken out #1 Cyl Spark plug
-Put an object in to feel for Cyl
-Rotated the Crank clockwise until cyl at very top and mark lined up on timing outer case.

Is this the TDC?
Is there a better way to be certain?

I've got the engine to turn over and start, but its rough and only runs for 5-15 seconds.

Please Help!

Comarosco
You have the timing slightly out still ... put a thin screwdriver into #1 plug hole rotate crankshaft clockwise so that the piston is on the rocking point between up and down ..it need to be right at the top point ..at the end of the up stroke, before it starts to go down again ! here is a better picture of the timing marks ... hope this helps better ..let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_ranger2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_ranger3_1.png

Dave H
OK, I took out the access plug and placed my finger over the hole. I had a friend turn the crank shaft until I felt pressure(valves working), at this point I knew this was the compression stroke. I then put a long screw driver into the hole and turned the crank until I felt it was tdc and the marks lined up on case. I re-aligned the cam and oil pulley, placed the timing belt on, set tension, and placed the spark back in. The truck started, and stayed running but it was very rough. Should I start over again or is there something I'm missing? Like I stated earlier (8 Plugs, 2 per cyl), the access plug I've been using is the driver side #1, should I try the Passenger #1, or it should not matter?
Please Help!

Comarosco
Also, every time I try to start the truck, Im doing so with the serpentine belt disconnected. Could this be why its rough?

Comarosco
It does not matter which plug hole you use on#1 cylinder as long as it is @TDC and all of your marks are lined up. Low battery power could be causing the rough running install the belt. I wouldn't expect it to cause real rough running ! If all your mark's are set up correctly (dead on the marks) then your timing is correct. Check all your leads are correctly routed and seated on plugs. Plugs are tight. Also check vacuum pipes. Does the vehicle sit and idle now? Let me know

Dave H