WHITE SMOKE COMING OUT THE EXHAUST

1996 Ford Ranger

1996 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 124463 miles

This is a strange thing for me. I went to the movies and when I got there I heard my car " hissing" from running hot. I was thinking o.K, I gotta get water after the movie is over. Couple hours later, I got into my truck and started driving towards my house hoping to find a gas station with a water station to add water to my radiator. Well when I started driving home, I heard a loud ticking noise. It would get faster if I pressed on the accelerator. So I was barely pushing the accelerator, just praying to get somewhere fast. I ended up breaking down about a mile from my house (Unfortunately there wasn't any water stations on the way home). It didn't instantly shut down, it gradually " wound" down and eventually shut itself off. Weird thing is, I was looking at the temperature gauge and it never showed it running hot. I then popped up my hood and placed my hand on the radiator cap to see if it was hot. Surprisingly it was cool to the touch. The following morning I went to go check out my car. First thing I did was put some water in it. I then checked all my fluids and everything was fine. The oil wasn't a creamy color, transmission fluid was fine, etc. It was a little difficult to start at first, had to keep turning it for like 10-15 seconds when it usually start on the first turn. I then drove it to my house, which was like a mile away. Other than the initial start up and the shaking while it was idling, it would drive fine. I then got it home. I shut it off and then tried to start it up like 10 min. Later (figured I'd let it rest) It wouldn't start up. I then ran to the store to get a few parts but I didn't replace anything. I then tried to start it up and figured I'd take a more thorough look at it. After a couple hours, I started it up. It was shaking pretty rough and white smoke and water was coming out of the exhaust. I would think it was the head gasket, but if it was the head gasket I wouldn't have been able to drive it home, right? I need help because I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Itguy21482

White smoke over heating coolant lose
ITS A HEAD GASKET
have it checked

BMRFIXIT