ENGINE RUNS TOO COLD

1996 Ford Ranger

Engine problem
1996 Ford Ranger Two Wheel Drive Manual 187000 miles

1996 Ford Ranger XLT, 4-cyl, 2.3 litre engine, standard transmission. The engine seems to be running too cold. Temperature gauge hovers 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the cold mark in the summer and is below or at the cold mark in the winter. Outside temperature is currently minus 20 deg Celsius (minus 4 deg Fahrenheit). I have completely blocked off the radiator and the gauge is still hovering from 1/16 inch below to 1/8 inch above the cold mark when I have the interior fan turned on. Gauge rises a little when the heater fan is off. The air from the heater is warm but not hot. When the thermostat opens up the temp gauge drops & then soon recovers. Cooling system is full. Antifreeze mixture is at 60%. Radiator cap is functioning. Cooling system is free of air bubbles. No bubbling noise from the heater. Engine temp did increase once when the interior heater was completely turned off. At that time the gauge went about 1/3 of the way up and there was an increase in engine idle speed at stop (rose to 1900 rpm).
Elias53910

Hello, I would start by replacing the thermostat and gasket with new one 195 degree and hotter. If it does not fix check and see if heater core is plugged. Let me know if it helps pat

Fstranger302
Hello, i would start by replacing the thermostat and gasket with new one 195 degree and hotter. if it does not fix check and see if heater core is plugged. let me know if it helps pat[/quote:a87e1bb3fc]

Pat:
Thank you for the suggestion.
I did replace the thermostat... the old one was in pieces when I took it out. Installed the hottest one I could get (192 deg F). This didn't fix the problem. The problem is not one of heat in the passenger compartment but rather one of the engine not heating up. When it did on an earlier occasion heat up I had lots of heat in the cab.
After replacing the thermostat:
The engine temperature now rises at an even slower rate than before. It also does not get any hotter than before.
When I touch any of the hoses under the hood they are barely warm. When the engine is at its hottest I removed the radiator cap and the coolant was just warm.
I once again blocked the radiator off, turned off the interior heat, and drove the truck around the city for 30 minutes. The engine temperature went up some.
The included drawing shows the maximum that the temp gauge roses to when the engine was at its warmest.
Any suggestions will appreciated.
Thank you.
~ Ray

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/125711_Temp_Guage_1.jpg

Elias53910