MAYBE TEH EGR VALVE ACCORDING TO CODES REA

1994 Ford Ranger

1994 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 178, 00 miles

Yes, I have reviewed engine codes here, just wanting to make sure I am correct in my findings is all, and it sure seems everybody here has more than enough brainpower to assist with my check(s). This place rocks.

Ok, went and did a few tests with my Sunpro CP0915 scanner on the 1994 Ranger I-4.

Key On Engine Off testing gave me these blinks with the tone; (possibly 1-1-1 to equal the three, and not the 111 code for letting me know that no problems were found) 3-3-5, 3-3-5, 1, 2-2-4, 2-2-4.

A. I am quite sure the 224 is the DIS primary circuit failure in Coil #1, 2, 3, or 4. I have replaced both coil packs, put on new wires, and new plugs a month ago. Why not it has 178K on it and I have changed plugs and wires a few times, but never the coil packs. Ufortunately as of this typing truck is still running in failure mode (998 according to the tester and manual), and idles at about 500rpm, although nothing has happened, and I have been driving it for a month like this since the above parts change, and all is ok.

B. Sunpro manual says 3-3-5 is the EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor, or EGR Pressure Transducer (EPT)-signal voltage higher or lower than expected (Key On Engine Off Self-Test).
WHAT the heck is this stuff/thing and where is it?
I have a feeling that if I replace this my idle will return to normal, and all will be ok.

C. Thanks to all who take the time to read through this for me and offer any assistance.
Cacher

ARTICLE BEGINNING TESTING PORTED EGR VALVE 1. Check vacuum hoses for correct routing. Connect a vacuum gauge directly to EGR vacuum source. With engine running, open throttle. If gauge indicates vacuum, EGR vacuum supply is okay. 2. If gauge indicates no vacuum, EGR vacuum port is plugged. Disconnect vacuum hose at EGR valve, and plug hose. Connect a vacuum pump to EGR valve. 3. Start engine. Apply 6-10 in. Hg to EGR valve. Engine should run rough or stall and EGR valve should hold vacuum. If engine speed does not change, check for plugged EGR passages or faulty EGR valve. ELECTRONIC EGR VALVE 1. Connect vacuum gauge to EGR valve. Start engine. Ensure there is less than 1 in Hg to EGR valve at idle with engine at normal operating temperature. 2. Install tachometer. Disconnect Idle Air By -Pass Valve (IABV) harness connector (if equipped). Disconnect and plug vacuum hose to EGR valve. Start engine and idle in Neutral. Note idle speed. Using a hand-held vacuum pump, slowly apply 5-10 in. Hg to EGR valve. 3. Engine should either stall or idle should drop at least 100 RPM. Idle speed should return to normal when vacuum is released at EGR valve. Repair or replace EGR valve if none of the conditions occur. NOTE: EGR Vent Solenoid (EVRV) allows a small vacuum signal (less than 2.5 in. Hg) at idle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_ranger_4.jpg

8) Code 335: Verify KOER Codes Code 335 indicates DPFE sensor is out of self -test range (2.6-4.2 volts) and may be faulty. DPFE system can detect lack of pressure in exhaust system. A garage exhaust ventilation system, installed during KOEO SELF-TEST, may cause DPFE sensor to generate Code 335. Remove exhaust ventilation system. Repeat KOEO SELF-TEST. Service codes as necessary. If no codes are present during KOEO SELF-TEST, complete QUICK TEST . If Code 335 is present during KOEO SELF-TEST, go to next step. 9) Check DPFE Sensor Pressure Input Hose Remove pressure feed tube from DPFE sensor. Inspect tube, including DPFE inlet, for blockage. Repair if necessary, and repeat QUICK TEST. If no blockage is found, go to next step. 10) Measure VREF Circuit Voltage With ignition off, disconnect DPFE sensor wiring harness connector. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between VREF and SIG RTN terminals at DPFE sensor wiring harness connector. If voltage is 4-6 volts, replace DPFE sensor and repeat QUICK TEST. If reading is not 4-6 volts, go to CIRCUIT TEST C .
Look at the back of the engine, there is a small stainless flex tube that runs to the egr, and egr possition sensor, there are two small hoses attacheched to it. and an electrical connector. See if it has melted, common problem!

Merlin2021