CRANKSHAFT SENSOR OR CAMSHAFT SENSOR ISSUE

1993 Ford Ranger

1993 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 149000 miles

I was driving around like normal the other day in my well maintained (by me) truck and all of a sudden it just died on me! No sputter, no jerk, no pop, no nothing. It just died. I asked everyone and their brother what could be wrong with it and evryone seemed to have a different answer. I changed the fuel filter, which really needed it anyways, and checked the fuel pump. Pump works fine and fuel filter is great, still no start. I bought an OBD I to check the computer, came up clean, reset the computer anyways. Still no start. It cranks but no ignition. Unfortunately I had it towed into a mechanic's shop, which I try at all cost to avoid. I was told it is a camshaft position sensor. They want way too much money to repair it and the part is reasonable at the auto parts store. Anyways, my question is this: Is this a hard task to do or is there any special tools I need to get this job done? I was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF so I consider myself to be good with a wrench but I have no idea how to tackle this issue. I heard the sensor I have to replace is behind the timing belt. Etc. Also I was wondering if it might be the crankshaft sensor.I thought they said it was one or the other. Which one does my truck have? Anyone that can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
93 ranger

It's not too difficult but you do need to take off the Ac, power steering, fan, belt, and timing cover then you will see the sensor attached to the bottom on the timing. When you get the new sensor there is a way to take off the plug so you don't need to take all the timing off. There should be a red tab, pull that out and you should be able to pull off the plastic plug and rubber square piece. Do the same to the old one and pull it through. Then push the need one through that same hole and reassemble.

Redlinedcustomz