BUCKING BACKFIRING LOSS OF POWER

1992 Ford Ranger

1992 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

my 2.3l runs great sometimes but will all of a sudden go into a jerking, bucking, backfiring, gas guzzleing, vibrating, mash the pedal to maintain 45mph piece of crap. If it sits for a long period of time (overnight or longer) it will be ok for a short period of time (half a day). It does have a check engine light on but as I am rural no one around here has the equipment to download OBD1 trouble codes. I have new plugs and wires -thought it was a shorted plug wire. I have only owned it for around 3 thousand miles. This problem occured after filling the tank - when I went back to the station to ask if they had a bad load of fuel they were closed - for good. I have since ran that bad fuel out but still have the problem. Maybe its part of it maybe not. Its like someone flipping a light switch- runs good- FLIP- runs bad. It also has a new fuel rail and pressure reg installed b4 I bought it.
Bill6232

U need to get that check engine light diagnosed before u spend any more money cause that could be where the problem lies

Affordabill