VACUUM ADVANCE

1961 Ford Ranchero

1961 Ford Ranchero V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Yes my car will idle just fine, but as soon as I give it gas it will choke out and die on me. I discovered that removing the Distributor Vacuum line from my carburetor solved my problem and it ran fine. I believe my vacuum advance canister is in good condition, but I was wondering if the problem could be the distributor itself since its off a 1969 mustang. Thanks
Vgallo76

Vacuum advance lines most of the time should be on a ported line instead of a solid vacuum line. That means that as the car accelerates the vacuum should increase, thendecrease as you let off the gas. Another thing to check on those distributors is the pin wears the vacuum advance itself and the pivot on the distributor plate itself wears as well. If you put the vacuum to the ported line on the carb instead of where it is now that should help. You'll have to fool around with a line off to see which is the ported lineon the carb.