INTERMITTENT START -

1995 Ford Probe

1995 Ford Probe 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 86,800 miles

The car starts perfectly fine 75% of the time. At other times it won't start, but turns over.
We can push start it if we are lucky enough to be on a hill. Then it runs fine.
We have taken it to two different mechanics. It starts fine for them, so they can't diagnose. Since it is 1995, we can't get to the diagnostic data.
It has a newish battery.
We are stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
Mlbrown11

Hi mlbrown11, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

At other times it won't start, but turns over.

Pushing it down the hill, the purpose here is to start the car w/o using the starter to engage the engine.

It cranks over and will not start possibilties here could be a fuel or spark issue-Do below and get back with some testing results so that I can continue to assist

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

I don't think I was being very clear when I said that it turns over. What I mean is: - We always hear the starter spin when we turn the key (regardless of whether the engine actually starts or not).

- When the engine fails to start we don't think we hear it turning over (just the starter spinning).

- When the engine fails to start, we are able to start the car by pushing it and then releasing the clutch to turn the engine over (while fun at first, this has gotten old).

- We have never had to jump start the car to get it going. A push start has always worked when in this condition.

We will try your experiment the next time it fails. Thanks.

Mlbrown11
Starter spinning however engine is not turning over-sounds like the starter overrunning clutch is slipping

Also double check the starter relay, clutch switch and ignition switch

Hi,
First of all, sorry for the delay. We had the car at a mechanics, but he was not able to recreate the problem.

Today we brought the car home, and it wouldn't start. So we took the opportunity to run the blue spark test.

Results
1) when the car does not start, there is NO blue spark
2) when the car does start, there is a blue spark

Also, the car has a new starter now, and the clutch switch has been checked.

From what you were saying if there is no blue spark, it is probably in the ignition system. Is there a way to narrow that down? Maybe another test?

Thanks!

Mlbrown11
No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

So how do we troubleshoot the entire ignition system without replacing the entire system?

And can these only be tested when the car is not starting?

Mlbrown11