MODELS REMOVE A LOCKED DOOR

1992 Ford Other

Interior problem
1992 Other Ford Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

1992 Lincoln Continental, everything is electronic (stupid computer chips attached to everything).

The spring at the latch that operates with the outside door handle broke. The door remains locked. Everything in the car is electronic. The interior lights stayed on because the door would not close and latch properly, hence the battery is dead. The door handle on the inside of the door does nothing to open the door. The pull lock on the inside of the door remains locked, whether there is power or not; I can't pull it up to unlock the door.

I need to remove the door, replace the broken spring and reattach the door properly.

How do I remove a door where none of the door handles work and the door will not unlock whether by manual or electronic means?

I have removed the bolts that hold the door to the frame, hoping that I could manually pop (or rip) the door off, but there is a mechanism at the door latch that simply will not allow me to remove the door.

The car is 17 yrs old, I bought it for a buck from my Grampa, the engine only has 60,000 miles, it actually runs great and gets 27mpg, I want to fix the dang door - How do I do it?

Thanks for your help!
Best Regards,
Geoff FitzGerald
GFitz

You have two options.

Cut through the outside of the door so you can get to the latch, and now you need a used door that is the same color as the rest of the car.
Or
rip out the inner panel to get to the latch.
Now you have to find good interior pieces of the same color.

My vote is go from the outside.

Buddycraigg
That's not the answer I was looking for : o I live in a small town surrounded by rural communites; the chances of finding a door or interior that matches even the model and/or year of my car is slim to nil. If those are my choices, I'll just rip the door off myself rather than paying a mechanic to do it for me.

I was 99.9% sure the answer would be " replace the door" but I was hoping for something less expensive. Thanks anyways.

Geoff

GFitz
Sorry, I hate giving people bad news

Buddycraigg