SLUGGISH ENGINE SEEMS TO NOT BE GETTING GAS

Ford Mustang

I have a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, 54K miles on a rebuilt 302 V8 that recently had a good amount of work done on it. Rebuilt power steering. Reinstalled exhaust (had Purple Hornies). Tune up. Among others.

Since I got it back, I have had the same problem a few times. I start up the car and it idles roughly for a bit and then seems to steady out. When I drop it into gear (auto transmission) and put on the gas, it starts and stops and acts really sluggish. I put on the gas at all and it either lurches or outright stalls.

I have had the jets on the carb adjusted twice. It does have a non-stock air filter on it. I did find that the butterfly valve on the top of the carb was sticking and adjusted a pin to allow it to move freely.

I'm at a loss. As my option at this point is to take it back into the shop for more exploratory surgery.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
DCStang65

Check the distributor contact point dwell angle or its gap to include the condenser

When the last time you gave it a major tune-up?

Last major tune-up was about a month ago.

This has been a sporadic issue. Mechanic said it could be the jet adjustment on the carb.

DCStang65