P0301

Ford Mustang

I know that code p0301 means misfire cylinder 1 and p0302 means misfire cylinder 2. How are the cylinders on a 2000 Mustang numbered? Is changing the sparkplugs the best first step? If not, then what? Thanks.
Wrottdog

Wrottdog,
Need to know what size engine your car has in order to get the firing order. As far as changing the plugs do you know when they were last change. If you change the plugs and still get the codes I would next suspect the coil packs for #1 and #2 cylinders. I think your car has one for each cylinder.
Good luck Backyardmechanic

Backyardmechanic
It's a V6. I don't know its history. I bought it in June with 66k miles. It has about 69k now. If I need to change coils, I'll need to know the order of them as well. Thank you for your input.

Wrottdog
I suggest changing the plugs first. It's the least expensive and the car probably needs them. I don't know the order for the coils but here is how you can tell. Look at the front of the motor and see which cylinder head is closer to the front. One of them will be( May be hard to tell so look closely) closer to the front. This is the odd side cylinders (in this order) # 1, 3, 5 from front to back. The other side is the even cylinders # 2, 4, 6 from front to back. If the #1 and #2 cylinder are still misfiring after you change the plugs you may want to check the wiring to the coils before you go and change the coils. If you conclude it is the coils then you would have to change the front 2 (#1 and #2) 1 questionThe does the car run ok or doees it miss and if so is it all the time or intermittently.
Hope this helps

Backyardmechanic
Thank you for your advice. It's running very rough to the point that I wondered if it would make it home the last time I drove it and the check engine light alternates between flashing and steady.

Wrottdog