66 BRAKES

1966 Ford Mustang

G'day all. My 66 Mustang has drums all-round and I have picked up a 65 booster hoping it would help braking. However after the second time of prying my mug (face) off the windsceen, I would like to know what sort of peddle pressure I should have now. There seems to be alot of peddle movement before the brakes seem to work them they come on in a hurry. Is this the norm or should I go back the just having the master cylinder and no booster.
Deputy Dog

Hey Deputy
An oldy but a goody!. Thats a tough call. Assuming you have good engine vacuum to operate the booster. Try and tweek up the adjustment on all 4 brakes to a slight " drag" on the drum. If the condition you described still occurs. I would go back to the OEM setup. For safety's sake LOL Good Luck and let us know!

Chris

Carundell
G'day Chris, thanks for the info. I have put a little drag on the front and just a touch on the rear. I can feel that the booster is working as the peddle is very easy to operate when the engine is running. There is just the lack of braking as I apply the peddle where it will travel a good inch or more before I can feel the brakes coming on. Very hard to apply only small amount of brake when idling along at a slow speed. Aslo what does 'OEM setup' and 'LOL' mean. I'm sure it is very obvious when I'm told but at this point it has me stumped.

Deputy Dog
Deputy,
LOL=laugh on line or. Laugh out loud. On line
OEM = original equipment as in spec to the vehicle! Sounds to me like its time to go the route of OEM. Sorry mate!

Chris

Carundell
Just curious, are you sure the 65 booster is for a mustang? Back then each model used a different booster with separate apply rates. Also get a gauge and check your engine vacuum, you mentioned hard to engage at idle. Did you get booster with a matching master cylinder? Or use the original master cyl? Some of the boosters had an adjustable push rod in the booster, check its' height against factory specs. Also test booster operation. With engine shut off, pump the brake pedal at least six times to exhaust the vacuum, on the last pump hold the pedal down keep good pressure on it, now start the car pedal should go down at least another inch as you hold pressure on it. Just a few ideas, hope it'some help

Roger Miller
Thanks for your input Rodger but I have solved the problem. Who ever rebuilt the master cylinder and booster, dislodged the reaction disc. Don't ask me how it works but I do know with out it, 'brakes no good'. A mate of mine that has worked around old Fords for a many number of years hit the nail on the head when I told him of my problem. He said take the MC off and look down the guts of the booster and if you see a shiny disc them the reaction disc is in the bottom of the booster. Sure enough thats where I found it. Now I have brakes.

Thank all for your input. Great to chat with other car nuts!

Deputy Dog