99 OVER HEATING

1999 Ford Mustang

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

my mustang begain over heating and I noticed the radiator was leaking so I replaced it drove about 6 miles and there was a loud clicking noise then it began to overheat again and died. Radiator is no longer the problem. When I took the oil cap off smoke came out of there? Help!
Jcavanzo1

Check the thermostat could be stuck closed if not it, do below

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: , Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, air lock in the cooling system, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.