FUEL SMELL IN THE OIL. BLUE SMOKE FROM EX

1994 Ford Mustang

Engine problem
1994 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 151200 miles

I own a 1994 Ford Mustang 232 3.8 V6 and I can smell fuel in the oil, blue smoke comes out of the exhaust and leaves a lingering cloud. It idles very rough and it lacks a very disturbing amount of power. It also backfires frequently. Nothing too noisy but I can feel and hear popping. What do you think may be wrong with it? My dad tested it out by just running it for a few minutes and he thinks a piston ring blew. It starts funny too, it will drop below idle speed and then shut off. It's been doing that since I got the car. The only thing I can think of for that is the idle air control valve being faulty. But as for the oil problem I have no idea.
Dch83187

Hi there,

I am not that familiar with this motor, but with the symptoms you describe I presume that it is fuel injected. You may have a faulty injector, which is leaking fuel into the cylinder, this fuel will by pass the rings. Washing off the protective oil coating and into the sump, diluting the oil which will give the smoking problem. A fuel system test will show a pressure loss, and a very sooty spark plug will be a good indication as to which cylinder is acting up. Change injector, oil & filter and you should be ok.

Mhpautos