FUEL

1976 Ford Maverick

1976 Ford Maverick 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My car runs well when cold or in cold weather, when the engine heat up or is driven in warm weather and I stop for stop and turn engine off for a few minutes, I crank car start to drive and before car can shift into high gear the engine will cut off, some times if I hold the gas pedle down and coast and engine will kick back in, other times I will have to pour cold water on the fuel pump and car will crank and drive untill I turn engine off againe and all is repeated
Taylor911

Sounds like vapor lock

When gasoline overheats and boils inside the carburetor bowl or fuel pump of a hot engine, it ceases to flow. This can cause stalling or hard starting. This is called vapor lock, and it usually happens during hot weather. Hot engine won't start, all you can do is let it sit and cool off. You should check the cooling system to see if anything is causing the engine to run unusually hot (a bad thermostat or cooling fan, for example). Switching brands of gasoline may also help.