ENGINE STARTS THEN SHUTS OFF WHEN KEY IS RELE

1985 Ford LTD

1985 Ford LTD V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

engine starts and then shuts down when key is released to run postion. Have replaced ignition switch, injectors, plugs and fuel pump in gas tank. All fuse check good.
Jimbo85

Hi there,

thank you for the donation,

I think your ignition system is fitted with a ballast resistor, this will be next to the coil, it should be a white ceramic oblong fitting, with one wore in and one out, check the continuity across this resistor no continuity it is burnt out, check this, next.

Mhpautos
Ballast ck ok.
Someone told me that it could be barometic pressure sensor is this possible and where is it located and what does it look like. I'm trying to help a neighbor that can't pay a mechanic repair bill
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jimbo85
Hi there.

What we need to do first is to establish what is failing, such as ignition, injection, fuel supply. Have you checked for any unresolved fault codes? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge, a noid light or a spark tester?

Mark, mhpautos

Mhpautos
DID YOU REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH OR THE IGNITION LOCK ASSEMBLY.
THE IGNITION SWITCH IS LOCATED UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN.
YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC COVER FASTENED WITH 6 SCREWS WHEN YOU GET THAT OFF YOU WILL SEE THE SWITCH IT IS HELD ON BY BREAKAWAY SCREWS.

Behm105