STARTING ISSUES

1984 Ford LTD

1984 Ford LTD 6 cyl Automatic 300000 miles

My car will not start when the temperature outside is below 60 degrees. The fuel pump does not engage at all. I have replaced numerous parts including both fuel pumps, fuel pump relays, fuel pressure regulator and temperature sensors that go into the computer. Because the " mechanics" tell me its this or that, but this morning it left me stranded. It had enough fuel in the line to start and get down the road before it died. This happened all winter last year and is already starting up this year. What can be the cause of this issue?
Kimbergainer

Hi kimbergainer, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Here's your possibilities: Fuel pump could be on its way out-check it by doing a fuel pressure test if its within specs if okay test the fuel pump relay-For that weather start using Heet every fill-up and also examine the fuel filter

I have already replaced those parts, including the fuel filter, fuel pumps, relays and fuel pressure regulator. I used HEET all winter last winter and NOTHING! The fuel pump is not engaging at all. It has throttle body so it is not a carb issue.

Kimbergainer
Open up the fuel pump relay socket and check for power at the yellow wire, power here-the problem is coming from the computer control circuit of the fuel pump relay or the pink and black wire going to the fuel pumps. Also check the inertia switch

Also check the red wire on the injectors if it has power

I cannot locate the inertia switch. Can you tell me where it is located?

Kimbergainer
Fuel Pump Inertia SwitchIn trunk, attached to left wheel well

This is a station wagon so there is no trunk. Where would it be?

Kimbergainer
Did you do this? Open up the fuel pump relay socket and check for power at the yellow wire-Do you have power? It has an inertia switch-try checking the side panels the switch contains 2 red wires

Note: the inertia fuel cut off switch is designed to kill the injectors not the fuel pumps