CAR STILL OVERHEATING??

1984 Ford LTD

Engine Cooling problem
1984 Ford LTD 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

hello, I bought this car as a cheap form of transportation, and when I first bought it it was running great. Now that the weather is getting warmer out here, it has started overheating on relatively short trips (20-30 min. In stop and go traffic), and not able to be on the freeway for more than a couple miles before it overheats. It had a new thermostat and housing in '07, so we decided to put in an oil cooler. This has helped significantly for in city driving, but on the freeway it still overheats (although we can now go about 2-3 times farther than before). Do you think this is a cooling system issue? Or could it be a head/gasket problem? The next step we will take is getting the radiator flushed. I just don't want to keep putting money into the wrong area of the car.

Also, I should also mention that when the car is overheated and we let it cool down a bit, it doesn't idle right when we restart the car-it tries to die. But once we get going again it runs fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Dustin S
Dustinbleh

Hi there,

I would be having the radiator cleaned & flow tested, get a radiator repairer to do this, make sure that the thermostat is ok and check that the fan is working correctly, if it is a viscus fan coupling get a mechanic to check this for you.

Mhpautos
Thank you for the tip Mark, I will get that done asap. I have a great local radiator shop, and a family mechanic that has worked on every car I have owned to date.

The thermostat and housing were replaced in 2007 (receipts came with car), so I don't think that's the problem, but it's cheap to check anyway so I might as well replace them. I will put in new hoses and maybe belts as well since it will be apart anyway, and they are starting to show their age.

Just one quick question, any idea how much a cleaning and flow check costs? I can pick up a brand new radiator for $83.99 at my local parts store, so maybe that's the route to take. Oh well, I'll give the shop a call in the morning. Thank you!

Dustinbleh
Hi there,

At that price I would be fitting the new radiator that way you know it will be right, let me know how you get on.

Mhpautos