TRANSMISSION OR THROTTLE BODY?

2006 Ford Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle Automatic 74575 miles

Freestyle surges when it gets hot.
Esp if sitting in traffic or idling. If foot is not firm on the brake it will jump ahead and sometimes the engine dies.

Once it does that the wrench lights up on the dash and then there is very limited power. Pressing the gas doesn't speed up the motor. It goes, just not fast.
Turn it off for 5 minutes and it starts up and runs fine (?) The check engine light came on last week for 2 days and I took it to Advance and they gave me these codes
2109 (limited forced power)
61B (torque converter control module)
Guy there said it was probably transmission and would have to be rebuilt. It has the CVT transmission but the gas milage has never been over 22 and usually is about 20. I read lots of folks get 26+

It shifts smoothly and I am driving it daily. Does it need transmission or it is hopefully something else.
Please advise.
Thanks!
Diward

I have a 2006 also and I live in Vegas. Every June (when it gets REALLY hot) I've had the same problem. June of 2008 the dealership replaced the throttle body assembly. July 2009 the transmission was replaced and just today, they told me that I once again need a new throttle body assembly. Seems to me that there's a different underlying issue causing problems with the Throttle body and/or transmission. I will post here if/when I find out anything more.

Amberjk35
When they replaced trottle body ( and or transmission. EEK) did the problem stop ((?)) &Amp; then come back or did the issue continue all along?

We have further discovered that not running the A/C seems to pretty much eliminate the problem.
(it's only 97 in the shade here this week in NC ; ~)

Do you have suggestions?

Diward
Hi diward,

I could not find the codes you posted in our database.

Is it possible to retrieve the codes again and let me know the EXACT OBD-II code?

I was not able to find any TSB regarding the problem as well.

Thank you for your response.

I asked for the EXACT OBD-II codes and was told
P061B and P2106 were the ODB codes.

Where should I take it to get different/advanced (?) Codes?
This was at Advance Auto.

We still have no issue with this as long as we do not run the A/C

Diward
The codes previously posted was 2109 and the other was inconplete so I was not sure what they were. Both trouble codes are related and the primary concern would be P2106.

P2106 = Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Force Limited Power.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_P2106TAC06Freestyle_1.jpg

For the pinpoint test, I would send the article to you as it is too complex to be posted here.

P061B = Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_P061BTAC06Freestyle_1.jpg