CVT TRANSMISSION

2006 Ford Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

I don't have this car yet - I am looking at possbily buying it but wanted to see if there is an issue with the CVT Transmission " blowing up".
Casper2918

I wouldn't be so worried about the CVT transmission. I pull a 2000 lb pop up camper and an 1800 lb ski boat quite a bit and have never had tranny problems. The tow limit is 2000 lbs. Many say they wouldn't tow anything with the Freestyle due to the CVT, but I have and haven't had a single problem. My issues have been with the Throttle Body and AC Compressor only cooling the car at over 2500 rpm. But the AC issue is just a $30 part. The amenities of the freestyle are great but the mechanics of the engine components are questionable. The CVT Transmission does allow better gas mileage. I have over 80K miles and still getting 27 - 28 mpg on the highway! A few pointers. Don't change the rear brakes unless you know exactly how to compress the calipers. They screw in and out, not compress in and out. Get the extended warranty!

Ragtopmann