TRANSMISSION REBUILD?

2004 Ford Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87500 miles

I have a 2004 Ford Freestar with automatic transmission. On my way back from a trip this weekend as I accerated up hills I heard a rattling/racheting sound from underneath the car. I drove it home to my mechanic who says it is a tranmission problem. He recommened a shop to look at it. Does it sound like it would be a total rebuild? The car shifts and makes no noise if I don't accelerate hard or quickly.

Thanks for your advice
Bennybass

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

Caution here first, don't jump head first into an expensive transmission repair, I would get the trans to a specialist trans tech and get a test & report done, as there is a few hands on tests that can be carried out a trans specialist will have the equipment to do this and be able to identify any potential problem with the trans, best get this done first before spending a fortune on a new or re built trans that you may not require at this time.

Mhpautos