CRUISE CONTROL

2004 Ford Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

2nd request, my cruise control is not working, I tried to remove the unit to replace it, but I couldn't get it out. I removed the bolt underneath the steering wheel flap which free up the unit, but it still wouldn't come out. Please help. I would be happy to make a donation if you would tell me how to do so. Jay
Jay schwenk

Are you referring to the nut that holds the steering wheel on? Takes a puller to get the wheel off the end of the column. Or are you trying to remove the air bag from the steering wheel?

Jack42
No, I am not, I am referring to the bolt that is underneath the top of the steering wheel, this is what holds the cruise control unit in place. This loosens the unit, but it willl not come out. I am a little dissapointed in this response. If I am not clear, please ask for more information. Jay

Jay schwenk
All due respet, I did ask what you were trying to do. Im looking at the cruise system and I dont see a " cruise control unit", are you referring to the Speed Control Switch? Do you have the airbag out of th evehicle? Im trying to understand where you are

Jack42
I am replying again on this issue to try to be more specific. I am referring to the speed control unit which is on the left side of the steering wheel, the unit will not lock on the speed control. There are three buttons on the unit, one is the on off, the next is the " set, accel, and coast button", the third is the " resume" button. This is all one unit, and it is bolted to the steering wheel with a bolt that is underneath the flap at the top of the steering wheel. When I remove the bolt, the unit becomes loose, but will not come out. Can you tell me how to get the unit out so I can replace it?

Jay schwenk
The switchs have 2 screws that hold them in. One top and one on the bottom. Sounds like the lower one is still in.

Jack42
Ford has the brake disconnect on the bottom of the master cylinder and when it stops working the cruise doesn't turn on/engage.

Try disconnecting the switch on the bottom of the master cylinder and then either check it with a meter to see if it reads closed or while driving the vehicle see if the cruise will engage (be very careful doing this as hitting the brakes will NOT turn off the cruise control as it normally would).

If the cruise works, you need a new switch and it runs about $35, be careful not to cross thread the switch when you put a new one in or you'll have to replace the master cylinder as well.

Jepohlman