GAS PEDAL STICKS

2005 Ford Focus

2005 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 37000 miles

My gas pedal sticks in the idle position when I take my foot off of it. I can get it to move again, but it takes quite a bit of force to do so. It seems to happen more in cold weather. Any ideas on where to start looking or what might be the cause?
Dananderson.117

Hi there,

Take the air inlet hose of the throttle body and get some throttle body cleaner, open the throttle plate and clean all the black residue from the butterfly and throttle plate, this should fix your problem.

Mhpautos
Try cleaning out the throttle plate and look for a binding/kinked acc. Cable

I opened the throttle body, and sure enough, the butterfly valve was all gummed up. Apparently it had a protective coating on it, but I found a throttle body cleaner that is safe for it and it works great now. Thank you!

Dananderson.117
Ok so I have the same problem on my 2005 focus and did last year and had someone who doesn't work at Ford(because they keep telling me they don't know what the problem is) and he sprayed something and it worked fine for a while. But now I have the problem again. Where do I find whatever it is that needs to be cleaned and do that I have no car sense so please help me because I am starting to get very mad.

Kalason
What they're talking about is your throttle body; when you open the hood, look for a big black hard plastic hose that goes from where your air filter box is (on the right hand side, above the battery) to 'somewhere' on your engine. That 'somewhere' is your throttle body. If you remove this hose and look inside the throttle body, you'll see a plate. This plate opens and closes when you push and release the gas pedal. Well after a while, some residue start accumulating around that plate which make your gas pedal feel 'sticky'. What you have to do is clean the plate as well as the throttle body bore with some throttle body cleaner (cost $2). This is what that person did for you last year, and probably what you need to do this year as well.
Hope this help.

RenaudTN
Hi there,

This procedure should be part of the basic service, I do it in my work shop for every EFI car, its the only way to keep this problem under control.

Mhpautos