WINDSCREEN WASHERS

1999 Ford Focus

1999 Ford Focus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 74000 miles

My windscreen washers have stopped working after the cold weather, I tried to use them when they were frozen, could this be the problem? I have pressed them(front and Back) but there is no noise from the motor under the n/s front wing(I think this is where it is)? Is there a fuse for them?If not, what can I try next? Thank you.
Glynlyndon

TEST D: FRONT WIPER WASH & WIPE FUNCTION INOPERATIVE OR DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY 1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Operate multifunction switch to wash and wipe function and check for proper operation. If wipers and washers work properly, go to next step. If wipers and washers do not work properly, go to step 5 . 2. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Disconnect washer pump harness connector C828. See Fig. 6 . Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Turn multifunction switch to wash and wipe function and measure voltage between terminal No. 1 (White/Black wire) and terminal No. 2 (Yellow/Black wire) at washer pump harness connector C828. If battery voltage exists, replace washer pump and retest. See WINDSHIELD WASHER PUMP & RESERVOIR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. If battery voltage does not exist, go to next step.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_washer_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_locations_3.jpg

Merlin2021
Thanks for your reply but I do not understand a word of it sorry, do you know if there is a dedicated fuse for the washers I have checked 43 and 55 and they are fine but I cannot see any others in the manual?

Glynlyndon
You will have to pull the plug off the pump, push the tab down then pull connector off, after it's off, you need a voltmeter or test light, with a volt meter put 1 lead in each cavity of the connector, and activate the washer, if there is voltage, replace the pum. This is not an uncommon part to need replacing, and they arent too expensive.

Merlin2021
No thats more like it, I understand that and will try it, Thanks again I will let you know the outcome.

Glynlyndon
Glad I could help, I releazie not all our guests are techs! Just ask! Updates are welcome!

Merlin2021
FIXED! Yes it was the washer pump, yes I did it myself. £10 from the scrap yard, so thanks to everyone who helped and offered advice, Pheww clean windows!

Glynlyndon
Good work!

Merlin2021
Hi, is there such a thing as a " throttle body switch" if so and it breaks or is faulty would it make your car run away with itself? You see when my car is doing over 2000rpm and you take your foot off the accelerator, the car doesn't slow down, if anything it goes slightly faster! If you dip the clutch it cuts the revs as it should, if you knock it out of gear without dipping the clutch, it will rev on it's own all the way up to, well all the way up till you dip the clutch and stop it. Sometimes it will cut out when you slow down? Somebody said it could be the throttle body switch as I have had the throttle body cleaned and the codes reset? Any ideas any one?

Glynlyndon
Either something like a plug wire or other obstruction at the throttle body return, or the spring broke or poped off, or the cable is binding. Check all with car off!

Merlin2021