CAR STALLS WHEN IN DRIVE ONLY!

1962 Ford Fairlane

1962 Ford Fairlane V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

I have a 62 Fairlane with a 66 mustang 289 engine in it. The car idles fine in park, but when driving and you come to a stop it will stall sometimes, only when in Drive on the trans. I tried adjusting the curb idle but that only changed the idle speed in park and did nothing to the idle speed in drive. What would you suggest?
Jeff
62fordfairlane

It's probably time for a rebuilt or rebuild your carb. Changethe fuel filter as well. Also check your breaker plate in th distributor. That is where the points mount. Check for the vacuum advance or the pin being worn or the pivot point on the breaker plate, but you have to remove the breaker plate to do that. Those had a habit of wearing out and causiing driveability problems.

Thanks, rebuilding the carb is on the to do list. Replaced the pcv valve and line etc. But now the car runs ok until it gets warm after about 10 minutes or so of driving it will sound like its misfiring a little and stall in drive, only when its warmed up

62fordfairlane
The running rough while warm and misfiring can be the breaker plate that I was saying to check in the earlier post. Also check your engine vacuum to see if it is low.15" is low.20" is normal. But it could also be the carb that's why you need to check both.

Thanks, ill check the plate but I think it was replaced. For the vacuum I am not sure how to check that?

62fordfairlane
Yo'll need a vacuum pump to check to see if it works or not but look for rust ad wear aroun the breaker plate pin where it pulls the points forward to advance the distributor. Also check for vacuum at the vacuum advance. But that may be a ported vacuum meaning it wiill increase in vacuum as you increase our speed from the carb.