E350 SUPER DUTY REAR END NOISE

1935 Ford F-350

With only 33,000 miles the rear end of my 1997 E350 super duty RV howls whenever it's under load, either steady speed or accelerating. Much quieter when you back off. If you start from a stop you can hear a faint whirring noise from the rear that once you are over 50mph become a howl.

Googling around a lot of answers suggest the ring and pinion are worn out. Can that happen in 33,000 miles?
Clw

That is a common Fored problem. The vehicle is good for 3 yearsr 36K miles. The problem is the pinion bearing and the pinion race were not matched correctly. I had one replaceed on my E-350 super duty at no cost.

The noise will only get worse but will not come apart for many miles. Let me know

Losone
How can I tell what rear is in my E350? 9, 10.25, dana?
How difficult is it to change out the pinion bearing?

Clw
The tag is on the very top of the housing. The problem is that the ring and pinion are also misaligned by the pinion being being out of tolerance. You need to talk to a Ford person that really knows those rear ends.

If it was me, I would change the pinion bearing and align the ring and pinion. Make sure you buy a new crush washer for the pinion. You may end up with a little noise but nothing like you have. Good luck

Losone