BRAKES

Ford F-250

Hi I am having a strange brake problem with my 1994 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel IDI. It has 284000.0 KM, and the E4OD Auto Transmission. Everything seems fine once warmed up, but when cold at low speeds, only forward, the front brakes seem to grab hard making the whole front end shudder badly. When I stop completely, the brakes hold when released, and release after I start forcing the truck forward. It does not do it in reverse, and it grabs evenly not causeing a pull to one side or the other. It has dual piston calipers so I figured it may be the front piston grabing first causing a lock up, but it is confusing why it is happening evenly and not just one side? After warm up, it doesn't shudder, but still clunks when it grabs, and still holds at stop lights. But not in reverse? Why is it doing this, and why only in forward? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Silverwolf

Have you checked the front brake rotors for out of round? One or both might be heavily warped causing the shudder/clunking while braking. As far as the brakes not releasing, the only thing I can think of is that the pistons on both sides are sticking. I've had vehicles do what you mention. The only thing I've found to repair the problem is a complete overhaul of the brake system, and a thorough inspection of such things as the master cylinder, brake booster, anti-lock system, brake lines. I hope this helps.

Indyuke
Thanks for the advice, but the rotors are mint. Thats what made it so strange, it drives fine, no wobble or shudder when moving fast, only really slow. I figured it out, its the new pads. For some reason the new pads are actually about an eighth of an inch wider than the contact area on the rotor, so after some wear, the pads contact the non smooth surface of the rotor, grabing hard and shuddering. But at high speeds it isn't noticable. So I ground off some of the pads on the inside edge, and bango! All fixed up. I'm putting new calipers on anyway since there so cheap. But thanks all for the tips. Hope I can return the favour some day.

Silverwolf
Great! Easy fixes are the best!

Indyuke