F250 SUPER DUTY 7.3 DIESEL 4WD

1999 Ford F-250

My truck has 250,000 miles on it. About 7 months ago, it started shutting off while driving. At high speeds, it restarts itself. At low speeds, I have to restart it, and it starts right up. Took for Ford dealership and diagnostic said it appears nothing was wrong, said cam sensor was ok. They cannot help me until it shuts down and won't restart. No codes showed up needing repair. It's really dangerous slowing down in traffic to turn a corner, and the truck dies. Any info would be appreciated.
Joe Poluka

My 99 F250 SD w/7.3 does exactly the same thing, but only when it's raining. Very strange, but true and it doesn't take much rain to do it. Ususally about the time I turn on the windsheild wiper the engine will buck strongly if above 30, usually quit completely if below 30 causing loss of power steering, brakes. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, but never puts up a code. I have driven it for months with the code reader constantly connected, but no luck. Sooner or later somebody will get hurt. Hope Ford is prepared for the lawsuit as I have read of this problem on several different web sites, but knowbody has a solution.

Superdutyjoe
This also happened to me. I took it in because Ford had a recall on certain CPS. Mine was one being recalled and it fixed the problem. My f250 also died only when it was raining. It took a lot of patience to troubleshoot this one.

Kemorris
I have run across a problem with the injector driver module located in between the inner and outer fender on the driver side. In my case the vent on the unit had fallen out and allowed water to enter the electronics inside. The easiest way to access this unit is to remove the plastic liner in the wheel well.

Pedro_bondoman
The problem was definately the cam sensor. Ford replaced it free of charge and the problem never re-occured. The truck now has 310,000 miles on it and the engine has never been touched other than this sensor. No smoke, no leaks and uses no oil. It's still clean as a whistle. What an engine!

Superdutyjoe