F250 ECM OR EEC PROBLEMS

1994 Ford F-250

1994 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 198000 miles

Hi, I have a '94 f-250 with a 7.3l powerstroke diesel. The truck had been hard to start ( glow plug lite comes on and goes of after a few seconds) requiring long cranks before it would fire up. Once it firede up it would run down the road with no problems. After awhile of it starting like this, it seemed every so often that it would have a miss. If you then stopped, turned the truck off and started it again it would run smooth with no miss. It ran this way for about 3 weeks when one morning I get in and start it (long cranking then started and ran fine) and get about a mile down the road and the truck steadily lost power and died, coming to a rolling stop. I try to start it. Cranks and cranks and will not fire.
I was able to get a shop to come to my house and put a handheld diagnostic reader on to try and find a fault code. The technician said that his reader used the power coming thru the ECM to power itself up, but he could not get his reader to come on. He said that most likly the ECM had gone bad.
Before I had them come out, I fully charged both batterries and cleaned ALL contact points both positive and negative. Everything electrical still works on the truck, it just wont fire and run.
I have heard of a EEC module or relay that is suppossed to provide power for theECM. Do you have any idea on what my problem could be? I am pretty sharp on gasoline engines, but this is my first diesel ( and a powerstroke at that, wich I am told is different than other diesels) and I am lost.
Olefogy

Could you supply the 8th character of IN # to verify which engine you have? Have you checked if your getting fuel?

IDENTIFICATION
NOTE: The eighth character of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) identifies the engine. The VIN is stamped on a metal tab attached to top left end of instrument panel and is visible through windshield. VIN is also located on Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label on left door or left door post pillar.

Dave H
Ok, the 8th character is F.
My step dad has looked at the truck and he says he believes it is getting fuel but he was unsure as he has only had experience in diesel tractors and has never messed with a powerstroke. There is a shrader valve on the side of the fuel filter housing and fuel seems to come out with pressure when you push in on the valve ( I am guessing that this where you would attach somthing to measure the actual pressure).
What is the approriate way to test for fuel?

Olefogy
Check if there is fuel in fuel filter .. ? is the CEL/MIL on (check engine light) if yes we can try to retrieve codes using MIL or Voltmeter ??

RETRIEVING CODES
DTCs are retrieved from EEC-IV system through Data Link Connector (DLC). Various methods and test equipment may be used to access these DTCs:
Analog Volt-Ohmmeter (VOM).
Scan tool.
In-Dash Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)/CHECK ENGINE light.
DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) LOCATIONS
ApplicationLocation
PickupLeft Rear Of Engine Compartment, On Bracket

READING CODES
KOEO & KOER SELF-TEST DTCs
All DTCs are 3-digit numbers. PCM outputs DTCs one digit at a time. These DTCs indicate current faults in system and should be serviced in order of appearance. Go to DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE IDENTIFICATION to find correct PINPOINT TESTS.
DTCs are shown as voltage pulses. If using MIL/CHECK ENGINE light, DTCs are displayed as light pulses. If using Volt-Ohmmeter (VOM), DTCs are displayed as needle sweeps. See Fig. 1 .
Pay careful attention to length of pauses in order to read DTCs correctly. A 1/2-second pause occurs between number of sweeps in a digit and a 2-second pause occurs between digits in a DTC. A 4-second pause occurs between each DTC. KOEO DTCs are separated from Continuous Memory Codes by a 6-second delay, a single 1/2-second sweep (Separator) and another 6-second delay. Record DTCs in order received.
Scan tool, if used, will count pulses and display them as a digital code. Star Series Tester will add a zero (0) to single-digit Separator Code (10) and Dynamic Response Code (10). Dynamic Response Code is displayed in KOER SELF-TEST. See Fig. 1 .
Separator Code
Single 1/2-second separator pulse is issued 6-9 seconds after last KOEO DTC. Continuous Memory Codes (soft faults) are then displayed 6-9 seconds after 1/2-second separator code. Some digital test equipment may display separator code as "10" instead of "1".
Pass Codes
Code 111 indicates system passes that portion of test. If Code 111 is not retrieved in KOEO SELF-TEST, DTCs retrieved during KOER SELF-TEST may not be valid. DTC 111-1-111, output during KOEO SELF-TEST, indicates no KOEO DTC or Continuous Memory Code was recorded.
Continuous Memory DTCs
Continuous Memory DTCs are displayed after separator pulse code in KOEO SELF-TEST. These DTCs result from information stored by PCM during continuous self-test monitoring. These DTCs indicate faults recorded within last 40 engine starts (80 engine starts on some models). Fault may or may not be currently present. Go to DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE IDENTIFICATION . Use these DTCs for diagnosis only when KOEO SELF-TEST and KOER SELF-TEST result in DTC 111.
Fast Codes
At start of KOEO SELF-TEST and after Wide Open Throttle (WOT) request in KOER SELF-TEST, PCM outputs short bursts of information, known as FAST CODES, which were used by manufacturer during assembly. With most equipment, these code bursts are not visible; an entire DTC sequence lasts less than 1/2 second. If this fluctuation is visible on test equipment, ignore it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_dtc_2.jpg

Dave H
I went and turned on the key and I am not showing a check engine lite. I do not recall it ever coming on at all in the time that I have owned the truck.
It is to dark and cold here right now (about 10pm)to get under the hood so I will get back to you tommorow ( before noon, my time) when I am able to do somthing. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Olefogy
It is possible when you disconnected battery to clean the terminals any/all the fault codes were deleted for the PCM's memory. But you should still see the MIL light up for 3/5 seconds on initial turn of key on? Do you see it coming on?

Dave H
No there is no MIL lighting up when I turn on the truck. I have tried turning the truck on on 3 separate occassions and there is no MIL lighting up at any time.
I cannot get the top off of the fuel filter off (it is pretty cold here and that could be why, but I changed the fuel filter about 6 months ago and I did put it on pretty tight.) But there is a drain lever on the front left side of the filter housing. I turned it and fuel ran out of the drain and on the ground, so i'm guessing there must be fuel in the filter. I just now plugged in the block heater, so in awhile I should be able to safetly try to turn it over if you need me to.

Olefogy
We don't seem to have power going to the PCM check fuse "I" in underhood fuse/relay box ..check all the fuses while you are there ? it must be getting fuel if the drain is letting fuel out ?? you can also try cranking it over ???

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_fuse_16.jpg

Dave H
Ok, I both visually inspected and used a test lite. I do have power at fuse " I", but no power at fuses E, F, G, or U. I have not tried to crank it yet.

Olefogy
Also, after the truck had stalled and then not started again I had checked this fuse panel and saw that fuse " T" was burned out so I replaced it but it had no noticable effect on making the truck start.

Olefogy
Could you check fuse # 13 in interior fuse panel. Fuse T E F G are all related to the trailer plug. E is also for back up lamps? Fuse U is for PCM power relay coil. Check fuse # 13 inside fuse panel

Dave H