NO HOT AIR FROM HEATER

Ford F-150

Ford F-150 1987 5.0L V8 93,000miles: I have just recently replaced my heater core in my truck. The problems is that there is no hot air coming from the heater only mild heat. It is barely enough to take fog off the windows. I felt both hoses to the heater core (in and out) they are both hot to the touch. With that I suspect that is not the valve's that regulate heat to the heater core. I am at a loss I would like to see what you have to say thanks
Blackop555

If I remember correctly the heater controls use vacumm motors to direct airflow and open and close the door between ac and heat. Check that all ines are attached and you have vacuum. I had a vacuum line on my windstar at work break inside the tube thru the firewall. PITA.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Peppermrj
There is no ac

Blackop555
No matter. The door that directs airflow from the floor, to the vents, to the defrost position could be stuck inbetween limiting airflow. Can you hear the door change position?

Peppermrj
Yes sir. I can hear the door and I can also feel the air flow change. The air is comign out good it just ALMOST warm not quite warm its bout the middle setting on a average vehicle

Blackop555
Ah I get it. Low fluid level, a stuck open thermostat, air in the system, poor belt tension to the waterpump pulley or a bad waterpump can cause this. Did you flush the system?

Peppermrj
I have checked that. Waht I dont understand is why the in hoses to the heater core is hot and the one out is hot. Wouldnt that indicate the stuff u listed above is in check?

Yes the system has been flushed also.

Blackop555
You would think. Maybe not good water flow tho. Blockage somewhere. Try reverse flushing the heater core.

Peppermrj
My dad told me he tryed that. Still the same temperature

i beleive the thermostat is good because the temperature is almost all the way to the top of noraml operating

also I have removed one of the hoses and turned on the engine there was a good flow comign out and I tryed on the other. Same thing

Blackop555
So IMHO I think that it is duct related. Is there a way to bypass the system just to put out hot, and if it is then I know its related to the controls? Or if it is cold then there is something related to something outside the cab in the cooling system?

Blackop555
Well if you have good flow, correct fluid level, correct operating temp, no blockage or air bubbles, and properly operating air controls, you have good heat. Go back to the beginning and start again. Missing something. Heater hoses are attached correctly? Have the temp checked with a laser gun. 185 or better.

Good hunting and let us know. : )

Peppermrj