FLUSHING COOLANT

Ford F-150

I have a 1997 Ford F150 pickup truck, 4.6L engine with 70,000 miles. I am flushing the coolant and have 2 questions. Where are the block drain plugs on this truck? Haynes shows a picture of where they are located (about and inch about the oil pan) but I cannot find them. Is is necessary for me to drain coolant from these plugs or just drain the radiator? Also, Ford says to use an optimum coolant that does not have alcohol or methanol in it. What kind should I use? Thanks
Heavner

Don't bother with the plugs on the engine. Just another point to leak later. You can pretty much flush the engine when you remove the thermostat and use a hose.

As for coolant to replace. The vehicle is now 10 years old and I use the Walmart coolant in my truck and have for years. Performs fine.

Bruce Hunt
You should be able to go to a ford dealership to purchase the correct coolant you need. The coolant bruce suggest " i'm assuming the green coolant" uses additives that can cause deteriation in the valleys in the engine. This coolant is fine but requires regular changing so the aditives in the coolant don't totaly brake down. I beleive ford uses the same thing but they have there own additives in it " sometimes a pill you can add to it"

H-yp3r
Also when your flushing I would make extra care to flush out your heater core. As this is where deposites end up most the time.

H-yp3r
Hey bud, listen to bruce hunt, the cheap green coolant has never failed. All the other long life coolants i've seen have been nothing but problems. You'll never have problems with the original green coolant. 8)

Bootdog